RSS Feed

  1. Musician uses web to stand out from crowd

    Comments Off on Musician uses web to stand out from crowd

    February 21, 2019 by admin

    Melbourne musician Dan Webb.DAN WEBB
    Nanjing Night Net

    Friday, January 18

    Yours & Owls

    Tickets: $10 at the door

    In a changing and saturated industry, musicians need to do something a little different to get themselves noticed.

    Enter Melbourne keyboardist Dan Webb.

    Instead of producing a new album this year, he has decided to release a free download of a new song on his website on the first day of every month of 2013.

    By releasing the songs in this way, some of which he has been working on since his 2010 EP Hyperspace Clearance, Webb hopes fans will give him feedback before he hits the studio to create a full-length album.

    ‘‘Not only is it a way of pitching the songs to a producer, but a way of also getting some feedback on the songs and showing people where I’m at with my ideas,’’ he says.

    ‘‘Since I’m going to be re-recording some of them for an album, these aren’t the finished product, just pointing people in the direction that I’m headed, giving them a taste of some ideas I’m playing around with.’’

    As for making them free, Webb figures if people like the song, they will find a way to download the tracks without paying for them anyway.

    ‘‘I’m really happy with how they turned out, but I still consider some of the songs as demos, and I don’t want to be asking people to pay for demos.’’

    So far only his track Departure has been released, featuring the vocals of The Bamboos frontwoman Kylie Auldist, but the response has already been positive.

    ‘‘I was checking the stats on the website and people are coming in from all over the place, New Zealand, Germany, America, Hungary. It’s a bit overwhelming, the response, really,’’ Webb says.

    The musician has been playing the piano and keyboard since he was four years old.

    When Webb, 23, first started playing professionally fresh out of high school, he felt he had to prove that a musician and a band could get by without a guitar and made his music loud and crazy as a result.

    ‘‘Originally it was quite heavy music, it’s just evolved over time,’’ he says.

    ‘‘It’s a bit more mellow now.’’

    But that doesn’t mean all his songs sound similar. Webb listens to a wide range of music, from Radiohead to Stevie Wonder, and says this, combined with constant experimenting, means no track turns out the same.

    ‘‘This month’s track is a funk/soul sort of thing, the next one is a rocky sort of track, going back to The Beatles sort of vibe, and the following month is going to have a reggae vibe.’’

    This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.


  2. Hawks star to dash home if wife enters labour

    Comments Off on Hawks star to dash home if wife enters labour

    February 21, 2019 by admin

    Hard-nosed Hawks forward Dave Gruber knows how threadbare the Wollongong Hawks’ stocks are – which is why he’s dreading the possibility of a trans-Tasman mercy dash to see the birth of his first child.
    Nanjing Night Net

    An injury-cursed Hawks, clinging to their spot on the cusp of the NBL top four, will limp into Auckland’s North Shore Events Centre to take on the near-unstoppable Breakers tonight.

    Gordie McLeod’s men need all the fit bodies in their fast-diminishing roster on deck, but it won’t sway Gruber if he gets the phone call from back home.

    His wife Kara is due with their first child within the fortnight.

    Complete coverage of the Wollongong Hawks

    ‘‘It’s due on the 29th of January so it’s a little interesting this weekend going to New Zealand and then Townsville,’’ he said. ‘‘The Hawks are a big priority of mine, but family’s first. That’s been that way with everybody. If I get the call over there I’m straight on a plane and straight back. That’s just how it is,’’ he added.

    ‘‘Fingers crossed nothing happens when I’m gone,’’ he said.

    There’s also fingers crossed the star-studded Breakers have an off night against a side that has traditionally troubled them.

    While Gruber has pledged to be by his wife’s side when she goes into labour, he has also thrown down the gauntlet to New Zealand’s tall timber on the court.

    The Breakers boast a distinct height advantage inside with Alex Pledger (215 centimetres) and Will Hudson (206 centimetres), but Gruber said the wounded Hawks won’t shy away from confrontation under the rim.

    ‘‘We’re going to go in there and throw some punches and see what happens,’’ Gruber said. ‘‘They’re the league leaders, they’ve got weapons all over the court from inside and outside and we’re a little wounded at the moment.

    ‘‘That’s something we were working on [on Tuesday] – just getting the bigs some more touches and utilising our strengths inside.

    ‘‘If we can get going that will help take the load off the guards. It’s about everybody contributing in their own special way, playing to our strengths. If we do that, we can beat anybody,’’ he added.

    The Hawks may have had limited time to prepare for their season-defining road double after last Friday’s dramatic overtime loss to Cairns, but Gruber is well and truly ready for the impending challenges off the court.

    ‘‘We’ve obviously had a little bit of time to prepare the last nine months and it gets exciting down the stretch,’’ he said.

    ‘‘We don’t know what we’re having yet so we’re kind of running the gauntlet there. It’s exciting times.”

    Dave Gruber will rush home from New Zealand if his wife goes into labour. Picture: ORLANDO CHIODO

    This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.


  3. Barman threatened in pub robbery: court

    Comments Off on Barman threatened in pub robbery: court

    February 21, 2019 by admin

    A Koonawarra man attempted to rob a Berkeley pub last week, threatening the barman at knifepoint and demanding cash, Wollongong Local Court has heard.
    Nanjing Night Net

    Aaron Frederick Dunwell is accused of holding up the Berkeley Hotel early on Friday morning, wielding a knife at a staff member before fleeing in a stolen car.

    Police claim the 26-year-old entered the Devon Street hotel with an unknown man, who was armed with a metal pole, about 2.30am.

    It is alleged the pair immediately ran towards the barman, catching the attention of another staff member who saw them on the hotel’s CCTV camera and quickly dialled triple-0. Dunwell then allegedly ordered the barman to ‘‘take them to the money’’ and pushed the man towards a cash register.

    The staff member opened the machine and showed the pair it was empty before he tried to open a second register.

    As he struggled to unlock it, Dunwell allegedly started yelling, ‘‘It’s taking too long’’, and held the knife close to the man’s body.

    Dunwell’s associate then ordered the barman to hurry up and open the other registers, the court heard.

    When the pair discovered all the tills were empty, they allegedly fled the hotel and jumped into a waiting car.

    About 10 minutes later, police saw the car travelling north along Springhill Road in Wollongong.

    Officers pursued the vehicle, as it allegedly sped through a red light.

    They later found the car abandoned in Coniston, just minutes before they discovered Dunwell nearby.

    Dunwell was arrested but denied any involvement in the robbery.

    He allegedly told police he had been visiting a friend in Coniston but couldn’t provide any details.

    Police searched the car and recovered a metal pole and a knife, the court heard.

    Dunwell was charged with armed robbery and being carried in a stolen vehicle.

    Opposing Dunwell’s bid for bail yesterday, Crown solicitor Kristy Spiers said there were real concerns for community safety.

    She claimed the case against Dunwell was strong as he had been located shortly after the incident and had been wearing similar clothing as the man captured on the hotel’s CCTV footage.

    Barrister Jane Healey, acting for Dunwell, said her client suffered from depression and anxiety and had been receiving treatment.

    She argued the case against Dunwell was weak, noting it was entirely circumstantial.

    The court heard Dunwell could live with his parents, provide a surety and would abide by a curfew. Magistrate Geraldine Beattie refused Dunwell bail and adjourned the matter to March 6.

    This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.


  4. Third man charged over alleged Janceski shooting

    Comments Off on Third man charged over alleged Janceski shooting

    February 21, 2019 by admin

    A third man has been charged over the alleged retaliation killing of Berkeley man Darko Janceski.
    Nanjing Night Net

    Police swooped on a Horsley home early yesterday morning and arrested a 25-year-old man in connection with Mr Janceski’s alleged murder.

    Detectives revealed for the first time on Tuesday that they would allege Mr Janceski’s shooting death was payback for the suspected murder of Unanderra man Goran Nikolovski.

    Mr Janceski, 32, was gunned down outside his parents’ Gannet Avenue home on April 14 last year, five months after Mr Nikolovski’s sudden disappearance.

    Detectives claim the man arrested yesterday was involved in the lead-up to Mr Janceski’s death.

    He was charged yesterday afternoon with being an accessory to murder and participating in a criminal group and is set to appear in Wollongong Local Court today. Yesterday’s arrest came just hours before the two other men accused of Mr Janceski’s murder fronted court.

    Blackbutt man Matthew Paul Wiggins, dressed in a printed white T-shirt and tracksuit pants, appeared first, entering the packed courtroom around 10.30am.

    He has been charged with murdering Mr Janceski and inflicting grievous bodily harm on Mr Janceski’s father. The 24-year-old was flanked by three corrective services officers while his matter was briefly mentioned.

    Solicitor Bill Zahr, acting for Wiggins, requested a one-week adjournment so he could seek advice from his client.

    Mr Zahr told the court he had only just come into the matter and needed time to get instructions.

    Magistrate Geraldine Beattie formally refused Wiggins bail and adjourned the matter to January 23.

    Cordeaux Heights man Robert Nikolovski, who has been charged with soliciting Mr Janceski’s murder, chose not to appear in court yesterday.

    Solicitor James Howell, representing the 38-year-old, told the court Nikolovski did not wish to be brought up from the cells.

    He foreshadowed a bid for bail on his client’s behalf but said he needed extra time to prepare the application.

    Nikolovski is expected to apply for bail in Wollongong Local Court today. He remained behind bars last night, pending today’s application.

    Mr Janceski’s death, along with the shooting of Lake Heights man Saso Ristevski and Mr Nikolovski’s disappearance, have been under investigation by Strike Force Calligan, led by detectives from the homicide squad with assistance from Lake Illawarra and Wollongong police.

    Lead investigator Detective Inspector David Laidlaw told the Mercury on Tuesday police would allege Mr Janceski’s killers believed he was linked to the murder of 35-year-old Mr Nikolovski.

    Detectives were also confident of making future arrests over the murders of Mr Nikolovski and Saso Ristevski.

    Mr Ristevski was fatally shot at his parents’ Lake Heights home on September 28, 2011. Further arrests are also expected this week.

    Darko Janceski. Picture: FACEBOOK

    This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.


  5. Uni offer tinged with sadness for Kaitlin

    Comments Off on Uni offer tinged with sadness for Kaitlin

    February 21, 2019 by admin

    As thousands of Illawarra students celebrate their university offers today, the good news is bitter-sweet for Figtree’s Kaitlin Christlo.
    Nanjing Night Net

    Just a week after losing her father Mark to cancer, the 18-year-old was accepted into a commerce and engineering degree at the University of Wollongong and achieved a goal the pair mapped out together.

    Kaitlin credits her dad, an electrician, for passing on his love of maths and problem-solving and for inspiring her to study engineering.

    ‘‘Even though Dad was so sick he still supported me so much during the HSC,’’ the former Figtree High School student said.

    ‘‘I’m a bit lost now, but I know he’d be proud I got into uni to the course we had planned.’’

    Full list: UOW releases main round offers

    Mr Christlo first became sick about 18 months ago, surviving a ruptured bowel only to be diagnosed with liver cancer three months later.

    His condition worsened and months of treatment blurred together as Kaitlin juggled the stress of her final years at school, completing most of her assessment tasks and exams between hospital visits.

    ‘‘Dad had three-quarters of his liver removed just before my trials and then he got sick again just before the HSC and had to spend a lot of time in hospital,’’ she said.

    ‘‘He was into St George Hospital for a while, so it was hard going up there each day and then coming back to school for a little bit.

    ‘‘There was a fair bit of disruption to school, but it was more important to be with family.’’

    Her dedication to her studies and her family was rewarded with an Australian Tertiary Admissions Rank (ATAR) of 91.55 when HSC results were released, leaving her dad bursting with pride.

    ‘‘I was really close with him and he was really proud when I got my ATAR. That’s all that I really wanted – to make him proud.’’

    She said she couldn’t have survived the year without the love and support of her mother Kim and older sister Ainsleigh, along with countless family friends, teachers and classmates.

    ‘‘It was really hard but I had a lot of support and I’m really appreciative of everyone who helped me.’’

    Kaitlin, who also received a Faculty of Engineering scholarship for her outstanding academic performance, was among 3024 students who received an offer from the University of Wollongong.

    Students received offers online via the University Admissions Centre at 9pm yesterday.

    UOW made offers in 148 different programs – the largest intakes being in commerce, engineering, nursing, primary education and law.

    Kaitlin Christlo, of Figtree, carries a picture of her late father. Picture: DAVE TEASE

    This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.